One of the popular sweet treats for Valentine’s Day is chocolate dipped strawberries. This recipe takes that idea a step further, combining chocolate covered strawberries with roasted pecans in a fluffy puff pastry.
If you want a simpler method, try substituting the melted chocolate chips with a bit of chocolate hazelnut spread. You could also use other berries, like raspberries or cherries, or just mix them together. Just make sure you don’t add too much filling so it doesn’t bust out of the pastry!
- 1 puff pastry sheet (from standard 17.3 oz. package)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 1 cup chopped Royalty Pecans™
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
Carefully flatten out thawed puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured cutting board. Slice it into 4 equal squares and set them on a prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl beat the egg and water until fluffy. Use a brush to outline the edges of the pastry squares.
Prepare strawberries: wash, remove stems and leaves, and slice.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, stirring frequently to blend. Remove from heat as soon as the chocolate is melted. (Optional: stir in freshly grated lemon zest.)
Evenly divide the strawberries and pecans among each piece of pastry, keeping them in the center of the square. Then evenly spoon the chocolate mixture over each mound of strawberries and pecans.
Fold the pastry squares diagonally in half, forming triangles. Seal the edges by gently pressing together with your finger, a spoon, or a fork. Use a sharp knife to cut a small steam vent on top of each turnover. Brush the tops with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
Preheat oven to 425°F and bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
For decorative effect, serve with melted chocolate drizzled over the top.
- Recipe: Chocolate Pecan Torte One of our wonderful customers provided this tempting recipe. She...
- Recipe: Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Cookies This delicious recipe is a mixture of shortbread and sugar...
- Recipe: Dark Chocolate Pecan Baklava This month we're sharing a decadent dessert full of complementing...