The Power of the Pecan: 7 Reasons to Make Pecans a Bigger Part of Your Diet This Year
There is no denying the power of the pecan.
There are not many foods out there that are both mouthwatering AND great for your heart, so we are a proud farm to be able to produce such a magical product.
If the pecan isn't already sitting comfortably at #1 on your list of favorite nuts, then prepare yourself. We've got some facts about this Texas native that may change your vote.
7 amazing facts about pecans that make it the best nut on earth
- Pecans have been certified as a “Heart-Healthy Food” by the American Heart Association1. Why is that, you ask?...
- Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition found that eating a handful of pecans each day may help lower cholesterol levels similar to what is seen with cholesterol-lowering medications2. Trading expensive meds for a snack like this? Yes, please!*
- Pecans also reduce the risk of heart disease with an abundance of “good” heart healthy fats. These unsaturated fats can have a protective effect by lowering total blood cholesterol when eaten in moderation4.
- Around 80% to 95% of the pecans grown in the world come from the United States. (*chants:* USA! USA! U– ok, moving on...)
- Pecans contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals – including vitamin A, vitamin E, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, several B vitamins and zinc. One ounce of pecans provides 10 percent of the recommended Daily Value for fiber1.
- Pecans are also a natural, high-quality source of protein that contains very few carbohydrates and no cholesterol and are naturally sodium-free1.
- 70% (by weight) of the pecan kernel is made up of oil – which is great news to pecan lovers because studies have shown that pecan oil is very beneficial to reducing the risk of heart disease3.
One other interesting fact about pecans: The best soil for growing pecans is found in river bottom floodplains, which we are grateful to say is literally in our backyard.
We have over 500 acres of the best soil needed to naturally grow these magical nuts, and we are honored to be a part of producing pecans year-round, especially considering the health-benefits they bring to the table.
How to incorporate pecans into a healthy lifestyle
Pecans are easy to add to your eating plan; simply grab a handful! With antioxidants as well as a tender texture, rich buttery flavor and gentle crunch, pecans make an ideal snack choice for everyone.
We also love how diverse it can be as an ingredient. As I'm sure you know, pecans can be much more than just a quick snack. You can also use them:
- As the perfect topping to any salad
- As a way to take your chicken, fish or pork to the next level by baking them with an amazing "pecan crust"
- In breakfast dishes, like whole-grain muffins, pancakes and danishes
- In homemade pies, casseroles, cookies or other treats for your dinner table. Whether sweet or savory, the pecan always comes through!
Over the years, we've even developed some of our own recipes and pecan delicacies available here on our site.
Try some of our farm fresh, all-natural pecans. You'll love them!
* We recommend visiting with your doctor before making any changes to your medication
1 - American Heart Association Certifies the Pecan as Heart Healthy
2 - Heart Healthy Pecans Lower Cholesterol
3 - March is National Nutrition Month
4 - A Handful of Pecans Can Help Lower Cholesterol