Pie Baking Contest at Royalty Pecan Harvest Festival
Date:November 5, 2016
Where:Royalty Pecan Farms
10600 Highway 21 E
Caldwell, TX 77836
Cost:Free admission. Free on-site parking. Some vendors & activities will require fees.
How To Enter the Pie Baking Contest
Click here to download/print entry form
Entries must be submitted in person on Saturday, 11/5/16, from 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM at the following address: Royalty Pecan Farms 10600 State Highway 21 E Caldwell, TX 77836 (Click here for a map and directions)
Eligible Entries Must Include:
- Pie baked from scratch using at least ½ cup of Royalty Pecans® purchased from our gift shop, our online shop, or Brazos Natural Foods.
- Receipt proving purchase of Royalty Pecans®.
- A completed entry form.
- Entry Fee: Purchase pecans from Royalty Pecan Farms® (the pecans must be used in the pie).
- Prizes: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes to be awarded (prizes TBD).
- Contestants agree that photos and contact information may be taken and used by RPF for our marketing purposes.
- Contestants must be amateur bakers only. Bakers operating under the Cottage Food Law will be considered professional.
- Pies must be delivered and registered on the morning of November 5, 2016.
- Pie must be homemade. No prepackaged crusts or fillings.
- Pie must be baked in 8"-10" round pan.
- Minimum of ½ cup Royalty Pecans® must be used.
- Pecans must be a primary ingredient, but the pie does not have to be a traditional pecan pie. We encourage contestants to be creative with their entries (we welcome sweet, savory, spicy, combination of layers, decorative, etc.)
- No cream based pies or pies requiring constant refrigeration.
- *Optional: 2 pies may be submitted (one to judge, one to sell for charitable donation).
Judging:Results will be announced at 10:45 AM the day of the festival. You must be present to win. Judges' decisions are final, and they are not required to provide feedback about their decisions. Pies will be scored 1 – 5 for each of the following criteria (50 points total):
- Overall appearance
- Texture and consistency of crust or topping
- Inside texture (runny, firm, or juicy)
- Taste of crust
- Is the crust fully cooked?
- Memorableness of pie
- Level of creativity
- Flavor strength and balance of ingredients
- Do you want another bite?