If you're feeling a chocolate craving, these muffins will definitely hit the spot. Adding a hint of coffee or espresso enhances the richness of the chocolate, and some fresh shelled pecans add a little crunch.
- 1 ½ Cups (6 oz.) self-rising flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ Cup cocoa
- 1 ½ Cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- ¼ Cup melted coconut oil
- ½ Cup buttermilk
- 2/3 Cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons strong brewed coffee (try our Southern Pecan Coffee)
- ¾ Cup chopped Royalty Pecans®
- ¼ Cup semisweet chocolate chips
*Substitute for self-rising flour:
- 1 ½ Cups (6 oz.) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F and prep your muffin tin with paper liners.
Whisk together flour and cocoa in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine banana, coconut oil, buttermilk, honey, egg, vanilla, and coffee. Add to flour mixture and gently fold ingredients together until combined. Mix in pecans and chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into muffin tin. Decorate top of muffins with pecan halves and chocolate chips. Bake for 45 minutes. Use a toothpick to check that the center is set and place muffin tin on a wire rack to cool.